Emergency Housing Assistance
Resources for Emergency Housing Assistance
The City of Charlotte assists residents experiencing an emergency or unstable housing situation by partnering with non-profit community partners to help. Below is a list of available services and contact information.
- If you are homeless or will become homeless in the next 14 days, contact NC 2-1-1.
- For assistance with rent or utility payments, contact Crisis Assistance Ministry at 704-371-3001.
- If you need help finding rental housing, contact the Housing Collaborative or call 1-877-428-8844
- If you own your home and you need an emergency repair, call 704-336-7844.
- Special resources are available for individuals and families living with HIV/AIDS in the counties Mecklenburg, Anson, Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Rowan, Union, York, Chester and York counties in SC. Individuals can contact Carolina's Care Partnership at 704-531-2467 for confidential assistance.
Homelessness Support: A Home For All
Our community's finest hours have always been when we come together to help one another. In our community, Mecklenburg County is the lead agency for providing resources and services for our homeless population. However, there are also many organizations and agencies, including the City of Charlotte, that work tirelessly to help our homeless neighbors.
“A Home For All: Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s Strategy to End and Prevent Homelessness” was launched in April 2021 as a comprehensive effort to address housing instability and homelessness. It marks the first time our community has come together to comprehensively take on the full homelessness, prevention, and housing continuum, including shelter, affordable housing, and cross-sector supports. With strong representation from both the public and private sectors, the goal of this strategy is to help Charlotte-Mecklenburg lay the foundation for implementing and sustaining the systemic change required to both end and prevent homelessness.
Learn more about the A Home For All strategy.
Emergency Solutions Grants
The City of Charlotte distributes the federal Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) funding. ESG funds are available for five program components: street outreach, emergency shelter, homelessness prevention, rapid re-housing assistance and data collection through the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS). A request for proposals is released yearly for agencies seeking Emergency Shelter Grant funding.