Report a Violation

Report Code Violations

There are several ways to report a suspected code violation.  

Reporting Minimum Housing Code Violations

The City of Charlotte Housing Code requires homeowners and landlords to maintain their homes/ properties to a minimum standard.  The code may also be applied to abandoned commercial structures.  



Tenants who believe minimum housing code violations exist in their home should call 311 to request an inspection.

Inspection requests, by residents who do not live in the dwelling, requires a petition signed by five residents of the City of Charlotte, 18 years of age or older. Print and complete the petition(PDF, 212KB) and mail or deliver the completed petition to the address indicated.

Inspection Process

  • A Code Enforcement inspector will request an inspection of the structure within three business days, following a complaint.
  • The inspector will contact the property owner with the inspection results. Violations can range from repairable situations, such as broken windows, to major structural integrity issues.
  • Based on the estimated cost of repairs to the structure, inspectors will issue an order to either repair or demolish a structure. If demolition of a structure is ordered, the owner has the opportunity to make repairs. In addition, the owner and complainant will be notified of scheduled hearings regarding the property.


Zoning Enforcement

Zoning primarily deals with how residential land is being used. Examples can include large commercial vehicles in a residential area, operating a business in a residential area, fences (height requirements), building in required setback, banners/flags/portable signs, etc.