Right of Way Use Permits - Overview

CDOT Banner


Contractors, citizens, and service providers wanting to temporarily (more than five minutes and less than 30 days) occupy a traffic lane, planting strip, sidewalk, or any other portion within the public Right-of-Way (ROW), must obtain a Right-of-Way Use Permit from CDOT.

Each request to occupy the ROW is considered on a case-by-case basis to ensure that there is no adverse impact to public safety. Additionally, all requests must comply with CDOT's Work Area Traffic Control Handbook (WATCH)(PDF, 6MB).

In accordance with City Council’s Adopted FY23 budget, Right-of-Way Use Permits will require a fee to be paid prior to permit approval starting Early 2023. The fees will include a non-refundable application fee and a daily fee.

Permit Examples

Permits can be issued for these situations:

Lane Closure - Closing one or more lanes of a street.

Sidewalk Closure - Closing a sidewalk. Suitable provisions for pedestrians must be made.

Street Closure - Closing the entire street requires preparing a detour plan and advance notice to emergency services.

Storage Containers/Dumpsters – Or any other temporary use of the Right-of-Way.

Filming Activities - Applicants must contact the Charlotte Regional Film Commission (CRFC) (https://www.charlottefilm.com/apply-to-film)
Additionally if the request is to close a street or sidewalk, or parking in an area that is not metered (for metered parking space requests contact Park It!), the applicant needs to complete a Right-of-Way Use Application for "filming" at the link below:

Other examples include:

  • Moving Vans

  • Sign/Banner placement

  • Sidewalk construction/replacement*

  • Tree trimming/landscaping

  • Driveway construction

  • Access to manholes in the street

* This item will also require a Street Cut Permit from the Street Maintenance Division if any pavement or sidewalk will be removed.



CDOT's staff will review, approve and issue the permit 72 hours from initial contact. Full street closure requests should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the desired closure date.

To apply for a permit, visit our Cityworks Application Portal and select “Use Permit” as the Permit Application Type.

Right of Way Use Permit Request Requirements

  • Requestor contact information (name, address, phone number, email address, etc.).

  • Proposed date(s) and time(s) for the work to be performed.

  • Type of work to be performed including a full description of the scope of work and reasoning for the closure.

  • Location where the work will be performed (street address or street segments).

  • Specify which traffic control diagrams from the Work Area Traffic Control Handbook (WATCH) (PDF, 6MB)will be used.

The ROW Use Permit, if granted, will be returned by email to the requestor and copies must be displayed on the dashboard of all vehicles or items in the permitted area. CDOT reserves the right to alter closure plans to minimize impacts to the traveling public.



Currently, there is a non-refundable application fee and a daily fee dependent on the type of closure requested. If on-street metered parking spaces are impacted, the Park It Office will issue appropriate permits and determine associated fees. 


Additional Information

Closures will not be allowed during certain times of the day due to traffic congestion. These hours are between 7-9 a.m. and 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday. The requestor is solely reponsible for proper traffic control setup and removal.