Oversize Load and House Moving Policy

CDOT Banner


The Charlotte City Code, Section 14-129, provides the Charlotte Department of Transportation with the authority to require approval to move a house, building or other oversized object on the streets of Charlotte. A permit is required of all house moves. An "oversized load" is defined as by NC General Statute GS 20-116 as any load that exceeds any of the following: 60' in length, 8.5' in width, 13.5' in height or 80,000 lbs.

The procedure for the issuance of a permit to move a house is as follows:

  • House moving companies must obtain and submit a Permit Application For Oversize Load / House Move to the Right-of-way Management Section of the Department of Transportation.  The form must be returned at least 10 working days prior to the requested date of move, complete with all required signatures as listed in the notification section of the application, and all attachments.

  • CDOT will assign a tentative date and time after coordinating with other activities that may be in conflict. 

  • Complete the application and submit by email to Oversizedloadpermit@charlottenc.gov. Instructions are included on the second page of the spreadsheet.

  • There is currently no fee for this permit.