The City of Charlotte's Civic Leadership Academy (CLA) is a free 13-course program designed for Charlotte residents who are ready to take the next step in being community leaders and improving the quality of life in all of Charlotte's neighborhoods.
The CLA provides an overview of city government and allows participants to grow in their leadership, analyze issues using data, connect with decision-makers and other Charlotte leaders, and make a difference in their communities.
Participation is determined through a competitive application process.
Transcript Housing & Neighborhood Services - Civic Leadership Academy
what I like that it was a good
experience the group of people are very
diverse it was fun it was very
educational and I'm taking away a lot of
knowledge then I'm going to share with
everyone I meet about the City of
I think it was a fantastic class it
really gives you a chance to look at
Charlotte from where it's been how it
got to where it is now where we're going
as a community the Academy prepared me
to be a better leader in Charlotte by
giving me more information than I had
about the City of Charlotte it
introduced me to various departments
that I was not aware of that were
available to me and it exposed me to a
lot of other opportunities that I can
use for my community to make it a better
fit for you and just the exposure it
gave me as somebody new to a leadership
role in our area and really allowed me
to make connections and network with
those folks to further elationship after
the class and only strengthened our
neighborhood strength in our community
and open up those lines of communication
- A City of Charlotte resident
- Commitment to continued community leadership
- Ability to attend at least 10 out of 13 sessions
Benefits of Participation
- Receive a personalized leadership assessment and leadership development training
- Enhance your understanding of Charlotte's history, demographics, and decision making
- Develop relationships with other community leaders and leaders in local government
- Learn how to use data to articulate challenges and advocate for resources for your community
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at how the City of Charlotte works and develop specialized knowledge about the departments and programs of the City of Charlotte.
Workshop sessions will cover:
- Introduction to the City of Charlotte
- Charlotte History, Implicit Bias, and Quality of Life Data
- Leadership Development
- Charlotte Government 101
- Community Safety
- Economic Development
- Transportation and Planning
- Housing & Neighborhood Development
- City Budget and Decision-Making
- Capital Improvement Projects
- How to join Boards and Commissions
Leaders with vision and clarity of purpose will push our community forward. Our leadership development program will equip you with self and social awareness, emotional intelligence, and the ability to collaborate and exercise influence to be a better advocate for your family, neighborhood, and our greater Charlotte Community.
Equity & Opportunity
With Charlotte and Mecklenburg County's last ranking in social mobility, our community needs a renewed focus on how we all can create an equitable community and expand opportunities for all residents. The CLA will give you tools to understand our collective history and work to achieve more positive outcomes for all in the future.
The City's government structure can feel complicated, and you may need to learn how to access decision-making. The CLA will take you behind the scenes of each department and give you access to government leaders making daily decisions that impact residents' lives. In our interactive workshops, you will also be able to build relationships with city staff and elected officials.
Civic Leadership Academy Online
We're excited to announce that more CLA videos are coming soon! Keep an eye out for new content that will be packed with valuable information and insights about the City of Charlotte and our partners. Whether you're looking to learn something new or just need a refresher, our CLA Online videos will have something for all residents. We're working hard to create a diverse range of videos on topics covered in the Civic Leadership Academy. So make sure to subscribe to our channel and stay tuned for the latest updates!
We are currently recording and capturing each section of the CLA so that residents will be able to view the sessions online! Please check back soon or subscribe to our YouTube channel to be notified when the new recordings are released!
City of Charlotte Mecklenburg County
- Economic Development Department
- Aviation Department
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
- Charlotte Fire Department
- Charlotte Department of Transportation
- Charlotte Area Transit System
- Strategy & Budget
- City Clerk's Office
Housing and Neighborhood Development