Total Compensation and Benefits
Total Compensation and Benefits
Live. Grow. Thrive.
WHY WORK FOR THE CITY OF CHARLOTTE
- Give back. Meaningful work that makes a difference in the community, for you and for your family.
- Our workforce is diverse and reflects the growing and evolving nature of the City of Charlotte metropolitan area and through your work, you have the opportunity to shape the future of our city.
- We are an inclusive organization - we are intentional about seeking diversity and inclusion at all levels and we are passionate about Charlotte being a welcoming city with a place for all.
- Our employees have a passion for public service.
Flexibility to be you.
- We offer flexible work schedules and in certain areas, hybrid work arrangements, to help you balance the demands of your work and the needs of your family.
- You are more than an employee. We see you as a parent, a volunteer and your many roles outside the workplace and provide a range of benefits to meet you where you are.
- Our diverse career landscape with more than 25 career fields means you have more opportunities to step outside your career path to find work that is the most meaningful to you. City Jobs Page
- Employee Resource Networks to connect people of similar interests and work together on community initiatives and attend community events.
Job Enrichment and Advancement.
The city of Charlotte is committed to the development of its employees. We provide opportunities to advance your career and interest:
- Education prepayment and reimbursement.
- Individual development, leadership development, business skill development and technology training programs.
- Access to LinkedIn Learning and other on-demand learning opportunities.
- Internal/cross-organizational mobility.
- Apprenticeships, internships, job co-op, executive mentoring programs.
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Vacation, sick, parental leave, military, jury duty, funeral, and community support paid leaves.
- Paid holidays and a paid personal holiday.
- Competitive health, dental, vision, life, accident, and critical illness insurance options.
- Six health clinics that provide free and low-cost primary care, sick care, nutrition and exercise consults, diabetes and condition management programs, physical therapy, behavioral health services and more for employees and their covered family members.
- Variety of supplemental benefits are offered, such as legal, identity theft, auto/home/pet insurance, and whole life insurance with long-term care benefits.
- Flexible spending account and health savings account programs.
- Free and confidential Employee Assistance Program for employees and household members.
- Employer paid short-term disability and hospitalization benefits.
- Membership to either the Local Governmental Employee's Retirement System or the Charlotte Firefighter's Retirement System plans which provide a lifetime pension benefit once vested and retirement eligible.
- Employer contribution to the State of North Carolina's 401(k) plan.
- Employee elected participation and access to 457 deferred compensation plans.
- Access to our award-winning Wellness Works program offering access to health and life coaches, city fitness facilities, lactation rooms, a variety of physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing programs and much more.
This information is a summary of benefits. Participation in any of the city's benefits plans should not be viewed as a contract of employment. While the city of Charlotte intends to provide these benefits for an indefinite period of time, it reserves the right to terminate, suspend, withdraw, amend or modify the plan at any time. Any such change or termination of benefits will be based solely on the decision of the city and may apply to active employees, future retirees and current retirees as either separate groups or as one group.
The City of Charlotte provides services to more than 870,000 residents. The city's priorities are workforce and business development; transportation, planning and the environment; safe communities; and great neighborhoods.
Charlotte is also home to the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League, the Charlotte Hornets of the National Basketball Association, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, the Charlotte Knights of the Minor Baseball League, the Charlotte Football Club of Major League Soccer and the U.S. National Whitewater Center.
Nationally, Charlotte is recognized as a best place to live and work.