LYNX Silver Line Library
As part of ongoing LYNX Silver Line light rail planning, CATS is evaluating sites for a vehicle maintenance facility (VMF) or facilities. CATS presented information about potential VMF sites during a live virtual meeting on Tuesday, May 23 at 5:30 p.m. via CATS’ YouTube and is now considering public feedback before selecting the site(s). Please view the presentation on CATS’ YouTube before completing the following survey by June 6, 2023: https://publicinput.com/r8256.
LYNX Silver Line Locally Preferred Alternative
The LYNX Silver Line is a planned 29-mile, 31 station light rail alignment from the City of Belmont in Gaston County, through Center City Charlotte and the Town of Matthews, into Union County. Key connections include:
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Bank of America Stadium
- Truist Field
- Charlotte Gateway District
- CityLYNX Gold Line Streetcar
- LYNX Blue Line Light Rail
- Bojangles Coliseum
- Ovens Auditorium
- Novant Uptown and Matthews hospitals
- Town of Matthews
- CPCC Central and Levine campuses
Over the last several years, and most recently in January 2023, the CATS' policy board, the Metropolitan Transit Commission (MTC), approved a refined Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) phasing strategy for implementation of the LYNX Silver Line.
Directions for viewing the map on a mobile device
Directions for viewing the map on a laptop or desktop
- To view the legend, click on the Details button in the top left of the screen and then select the far right Legend button.
- To change the basemap, click Basemap in the top left of the screen for options.
- To zoom in and out, use the “+” and “-“ icons at the top left of the map or use your center mouse button.
- To return to the original view, click the house icon at the top left of the map.
- To search for an address, type an address in the Find address or place search bar next to the magnifying glass icon on the top right of the screen.
To measure distances, click the Measure button in the top right of the screen. Select the ruler icon and use the drop-down list to select measurement units. Then click on the map to create a starting point, draw a line, and double click on the end point for your measurement result.
LYNX Silver Line Project Status
Phase A, which would be implemented first, would start at Charlotte Gateway Station (CGS) and extend eastward to the Town of Matthews; Phase B would extend westward from CGS to I-485 in western Mecklenburg County. Subsequent phases would extend farther in each direction into Gaston and Union Counties. In the near term, CATS anticipates taking the Phase A segment into design and environmental review, along with a potential terminus option at Morehead Station in Center City.
Project Life Cycle
CATS has conducted extensive public engagement, including several online open houses, live virtual public meetings, neighborhood meetings, and surveys. To view previous project materials and watch meeting recordings, click on the LYNX Silver Line Project Library.
Charlotte Planning, Design + Development partnered with CATS and other municipalities along the LYNX Silver Line corridor to develop station area plans which prioritize connected neighborhoods with a mix of uses that are consistent with local goals and policies. Visit the Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Study page to learn more.