Moving? Need to start or stop water service?

Contact Charlotte Water by dialing 311 or 704-336-7600 and ask for "water move in or move out" between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please provide:

  1. Social Security Number (SSN) (preferred); or
  2. Employer Tax Identification Number (EIN) Note: (this is a business tax identification number, NOT an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN, W-7). Federal rules prohibit accepting ITIN for identity verification outside the tax system.

If you would like to talk to someone in person, please go to:

  • Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center (CMGC), 600 East Fourth Street, Charlotte, NC, 28202 (between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday).

Customer must provide the following:

  1. Social Security Number (required)
  2. Employer Tax Identification Number (EIN)
  3. Drivers license
  4. Government-issued identification (must include a photo)
    • Our goal is to have the water turned on within 24 to 48 hours. A charge will apply for new services.
    • When the technician arrives to turn on the water, if the water meter indicates that water is flowing inside the home, Charlotte Water staff will not turn on the water. This is a measure taken to prevent flooding inside.