If you have been involved in a motor vehicle crash, you may be qualified to request the associated report. Please note that the Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act requires seekers to certify that they are qualified to receive the information prior to getting a copy of the report.
- To get a copy of an crash report, submit a Request for Motor Vehicle Crash Report Form(PDF, 137KB) (also available at the Law Enforcement Center and Division Offices) and certify that you have permission to receive the information. You are permitted to obtain a copy of an accident report if you are a:
- Vehicle operator involved in a crash.
- Registered owner of a vehicle involved in a crash.
- Passenger in vehicle involved in a crash.
2. Once you have submitted a Request for Motor Vehicle Crash Report Form, you may get a copy of an accident report in person or on Lexis Nexis.
- Bring a valid, government-issued photo I.D. to the records desk of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department headquarters at 601 E. Trade St. in Charlotte, or to a CMPD Division Office.
- Find it on Lexis Nexis.