Request Body Worn Footage / 911 Calls for Service

Video Disclosure Request

Do you believe you or someone in your family was treated unfairly by a police officer and the interaction may have been recorded on a body worn or dashboard camera? Were you in an accident and wish to review camera footage? You may be entitled to review the video.

Release of Recordings [Getting a Copy]

North Carolina General Statute Section 132-1.4A provides the process by which a person may obtain a copy of law enforcement recordings. In order to obtain a copy of a video, you must first initiate a civil action or file a Petition For Release (AOC form CV-270) with the Mecklenburg County Clerk of Court. Once the Petition For Release has been filed with the courthouse, a file-stamped copy of the Petition may be served on CMPD through the Police Attorney's office at:
CMPD Police Attorney's Office
601 East Trade Street
Charlotte, N.C. 28202

Disclosure of Recordings [Viewings ONLY]

As noted above, N.C.G.S. 132-1.4A also states that certain persons are entitled to disclosures, or viewings, of law enforcement recordings. This does not include getting a copy of the recordings. By statute, those persons are:
  1. A person whose image or voice is in the recording.
  2. A spouse if the spouse whose image or voice is in the recording consents to the disclosure. Notarization of the request form is required by the consenting spouse.
  3. An attorney retained to represent a person whose image or voice is in the recording. Notarization of the request form by the client is required.
  4. A parent of a minor whose image or voice is in the recording.
  5. A guardian of a minor or adult whose image or voice is in the recording. Guardianship documentation is required.
  6. A personal representative of a deceased person whose image or voice is in the recording. Executorship, Power of Attorney, or other legal documentation required.
  7. A personal representative of an adult person who is incapacitated and unable to provide consent to disclosure. Power of Attorney or other legal documentation required.
NOTE: the statute defines a “personal representative” as a parent, court-appointed guardian, spouse, or attorney of a person whose image or voice is in the recording. If a person whose image or voice is in the recording is deceased, the term also means the personal representative of the estate of the deceased person; the deceased person's surviving spouse, parent, or adult child; the deceased person's attorney; or the parent or guardian of a surviving minor child of the deceased.

If you meet the criteria above you may download the Video Disclosure Request form using the link below. Once you have completed the form in its entirety you may bring it, along with the required verification documents, to any CMPD division office or the Law Enforcement Center. You may also email the form and documentation to or you may mail the form and documentation by USPS to:
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
Attn: Video Disclosure
601 East Trade Street Charlotte, NC 28202

If you would like to view a recording that depicts death or serious bodily injury, the statute requires you to complete a Request to Law Enforcement Agency to Disclose Recording of Death or Serious Bodily Injury (AOC form CV-275). This completed form can be sent directly to CMPD through the Police Attorney’s Office.

If you have any questions about the statute or the video request processes described above, you should visit or contact a private attorney to assist you.

Download the Video Disclosure Request Form(PDF, 83KB)

View the NC General Statute - Chapter 132 §1.4A(PDF, 170KB)

911 Call Request Form

Request for 911 Recordings from Communications Division

This form is intended for the request of 911 recordings as taken for police services. If you are seeking a recording of a medical call that CMPD dispatchers transfer to Medic, you will need to make that request for recording to 704-943-6000.


If you need a call for Officers to respond to a specific location you will need to call 911 directly or the Admin Line at 704-336-3237 for out of jurisdiction callers.

911 Request form