Crime / Crash Reports

A motor vehicle crash report is typically written and recorded by a police officer at the scene of a motor vehicle crash. 

CMPD will provide reports to the drivers, the passengers and the registered owners of the vehicles involved in a crash.

Incident reports cover crimes or situations to which the police have been called for help.

Crash Reports

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle crash, you may be qualified to request the associated report. Please note that the Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act requires seekers to certify that they are qualified to receive the information prior to getting a copy of the report.

  1. To get a copy of an crash report, submit a Request for Motor Vehicle Crash Report Form(PDF, 137KB) (also available at the Law Enforcement Center and Division Offices) and certify that you have permission to receive the information. You are permitted to obtain a copy of an accident report if you are a:
  • Vehicle operator involved in a crash.
  • Registered owner of a vehicle involved in a crash.
  • Passenger in vehicle involved in a crash.

2. Once you have submitted a Request for Motor Vehicle Crash Report Form, you may get a copy of an accident report in person or on Lexis Nexis.

  • Bring a valid, government-issued photo I.D. to the records desk of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department headquarters at 601 E. Trade St. in Charlotte, or to a CMPD Division Office.
  • Find it on Lexis Nexis.


Incident Reports

If you filed an incident report with CMPD, you can get a copy of it one of the following ways:

  • Receive a copy of the report automatically when the case is assigned for follow-up if you gave your email address to the officer at the time the report was taken.
  • Call 311 or the CMPD records division at [704-336-2848] and provide the complaint number. 
  • Email the CMPD records division at to receive an emailed copy of the report.
  • Visit CMPD Headquarters at 601 E Trade St. or any division office and receive a copy of the incident report.
  • Find it online at Lexis Nexis.