CMPD Transparency Workshops
Your Opportunity to Make a Difference
Communities across our nation have found that police departments work best when they work for the community, when they know the community, and when the community knows them.
The CMPD Transparency Workshops
offer us the opportunity to begin improving the partnerships needed to better serve you and the community at large. The topics that we have selected for these workshops are the ones that drive the most questions during community meetings, rallies, and other conversations with citizens.
Our Transparency Workshops are 3-day events that give community members an inside understanding of CMPD’s processes, services, and operations. The mission of CMPD Transparency Workshop is to work towards strengthening community relationships, increasing the community understanding of police work, as well as equipping citizens to provide productive and meaningful input into how their police department functions. Each evening, attendees will participate in exercises that put them behind the desk of a captain, in front of a roll call as a sergeant, or behind the body worn camera of an officer. Along the way, participants will learn about:
- Staffing and deployment of officers
- Crime fighting and community engagement strategies
- Arrest, search and use of force laws and policies
- Accountability and investigation of police misconduct
Knowledgeable CMPD officers whose passion is to convey ideas, information, and increase awareness of the police department’s mission while listening and getting input from our community will lead the workshop. To register for this workshop, please fill out the online registration form below. A staff member will contact you with additional information and to confirm your registration.
Inside the CMPD - Transparency Workshop Agenda
The schedule for this program:
Day 1 (6:30 PM to 9:30 PM)
Overview of CMPD
Crime Fighting Exercise
- Part 1: Police Captain - Patrol Resources
- Part 2: Police Sergeant - Patrol Operations
Day 2 (6:30 PM to 9:30 PM)
Day 3 (6:30 PM to 9:30 PM)
Crime Fighting Exercise
- Part 3: Patrol Officer - Patrol Response
Internal Affairs (IA) Mock Exercise
Firearms Training Simulator (FATS) Exercise
Police & Fire Training Academy
2021 Workshop Dates:
1770 Shopton Rd. Charlotte, NC 28217
NOTE: We can also mobilize the workshops so that we can come to you, as well.
Workshops have been scheduled for the following dates:
- With the public health concern with COVID-19 and to follow the social distancing recommendations, CMPD will welcome cap the March, April, and May 3-day workshop offerings to 15 community members. The remaining offerings will continue to be monitored and adjust accordingly.
- August 11, 18 & 25 [registration period: TBD]