Submit the Fence and Wall Certificate Application along with a drawing of the location as described below. An application cannot be processed without an attached drawing.
Department of Transportation
600 East Fourth Street
Charlotte, N.C. 28202
Location of Fence or Wall: Provide street name, street address and intersecting street name (if corner location). Please include an engineering scaled drawing (1"-20', 30', 40' or 50'). Also, include:
- Property lines
- Location of existing curb, gutter and sidewalk, or edge of pavement/ditch line
- Location of fence or wall (dimension from right-of-way)
- Street name(s)
- North arrow
Fence or Wall Description/Type: Please provide information concerning the type of construction and design details including:
- Construction material (brick, wood, etc.)
- Length, width and height dimensions
- Foundation/footing details
NOTE: Any signs which are attached to or designed/constructed as part of the fence or wall must be in compliance with the Sign Ordinance of the Charlotte City Code.
Owner: The property owner should be self-explanatory. The applicant may be either the owner or the fence/wall contractor (as agents for the owner).
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Building Standards: The Fence and Wall Certificate is not intended to relieve the applicant of his responsibility to also secure any and all permits required for the construction of the fence/wall by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Building Standards Department. These additional permits include but are not limited to:
- A Building Permit for the construction of a fence or wall over six feet in height.
- A Sign Permit for any sign which is attached to or constructed as part of a fence or wall. All signs must comply with the Sign Ordinance of the Charlotte City Code.