Our goal is to provide a storm drainage system that is safe, clean and cost-effective. We help property owners who are experiencing stormwater runoff problems from publicly-maintained streets. The City of Charlotte, the surrounding towns, and Mecklenburg County work in unison to manage their stormwater programs.
To report a stormwater drainage problem, call 3-1-1 (704-336-7600) or go to the Report A Problem page to complete an online form. A staff member will contact you, investigate the problem and determine if the request qualifies for service.
Examples of requests that may qualify for service:
- Failing stormwater infrastructure within the right-of-way of a publicly-maintained street or near a house, commercial building, driveway or publicly-maintained sidewalk.
- Stormwater infrastructure includes pipes, storm drains and other structures that collect and move stormwater to our local streams. Visible holes or active soil settlement are typical indicators of infrastructure failure.
- Flooding of publicly-maintained streets, living space, crawl space or basement, furnace, air conditioner, driveway, or the interior of an accessory structure such as a garage.
- A significant blockage or sediment buildup in a pipe, drainage ditch or stream.
- Erosion that is compromising (or may compromise) the structural integrity of a house, commercial building, publicly-maintained street or infrastructure within the right-of-way, or the structural integrity of an accessory structure such as a garage.
Severe streambank erosion along a major stream.
Common requests that DO NOT qualify for service:
- Stormwater problems that do not receive runoff from a publicly-maintained street
- Yard flooding
- Flooding of sheds smaller than 150 square feet
- Flooding in FEMA regulated floodplain
- Wetlands or issues related to groundwater
- Drainage conditions caused by grading or landscaping
- Roof, gutter or downspout drainage problems
- Standing water in a drainage ditch
- Drainage conditions within NCDOT right-of-way (please call 980-523-0000)
- Mosquito complaints (please contact the Mecklenburg County Mosquito Control Program)
For areas outside the City of Charlotte, Towns of Huntersville and Davidson, guidelines here.
Contact information for the Towns of Huntersville and Davidson
Call 3-1-1, 704-336-7600, or go to the Report A Problem
page to complete an online form. Call 9-1-1 if the flooding is an immediate danger.