​​Fees & Billing FAQs

Call 3-1-1 (or 704-336-7600) if you have questions about your Storm Water Services fee or bill.

Most customers receive a monthly City of Charlotte/Mecklenburg County water services bill that includes the Storm Water Services fee as well as Charlotte Water drinking water and wastewater fees. While different departments and organizations provide these services, the fees and charges are included on one bill to simplify the billing and payment process for customers.

  • Repairing public storm drainage infrastructure
  • Reducing flood risks
  • Improving surface waters

The Storm Water Services fee is based on a property’s impervious surface area such as rooftops and concrete driveways. The more impervious surfaces, the more stormwater runoff flows from the property into the storm drainage system. Properties with the least amount of impervious surface area pay the lowest Storm Water Services fee. 

Impervious surfaces are hard surfaces that do not allow rainwater to absorb into the ground.

Common examples of impervious surface include rooftops and concrete driveways.

Impervious surfaces are identified and measured using aerial photography for each parcel in Mecklenburg County.

Call 3-1-1 (or 704-336-7600) if you have questions about your parcel’s impervious area or would like to request an inspector to validate the square footage.

Detached Single-Family Residential properties (one individual, detached, single-family home on a parcel) are in one of four billing tiers based on the property’s total amount of impervious surface. Each property in the tier is billed the same amount.

Tier 1:  <2,000 square feet of impervious surface
Tier 2:  2,000 to 2,999 square feet of impervious surface
Tier 3:  3,000 to 4,999 square feet of impervious surface
Tier 4:  5,000 or more square feet of impervious surface

All Other properties (commercial buildings; attached single-family homes such as duplexes, triplexes and apartments; multiple single-family structures on one parcel) are billed for the actual amount of impervious area on the property.

Property owners may qualify for a Storm Water Services fee credit if:

all or nearly all of their stormwater runoff drains either directly into the Catawba River or directly into an adjoining county


the property owner has significantly reduced the amount of runoff through a stormwater control measure or pond that captures and holds it.