County and Towns BMP Inspections
Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs) have been in use in Mecklenburg County since the late 1970s. These devices, which range from dry detention ponds to proprietary grit removal devices, were installed to satisfy various water quality and water quantity ordinances. Many BMPs installed during the late 1980s and early 1990s are approaching the end of their functional lives and until recently had never been identified or inspected.
Increasingly BMPs are required of new development through implementation of Phase II Storm Water Ordinances in the Towns of Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill, and Pineville.
All BMPs are required by Phase II Storm Water Ordinances to be inspected annually to identify potential maintenance issues that could affect long-term operation of the device. Mecklenburg County has initiated a program of inspections for all BMPs in the six Towns and unincorporated Mecklenburg County.
The Five-Step BMP Inspection and Enforcement Process
- The BMP Inspector will conduct a detailed records review of the BMP Database, in-house files, and archived plans. The inspector will conduct a detailed onsite inspection of the structural BMP(s) and document the findings using the appropriate forms.
- The inspector will enter the findings by creating an Activity in the CityWorks Server.
- When maintenance and/or repairs are needed to a BMP, the inspector will send a Corrective Action Request(PDF, 37KB) to the owner of the BMP. This applies to BMPs that existed before June 30, 2007, when the Post-Construction Controls Ordinance took effect in the County and six Towns.
- If violations are found on Post-Construction Ordinance BMPs, a Notice of Violation will be issued to the owner.
- After repairs are completed, the inspector will re-inspect the BMP(s) for compliance. Findings will be documented by creating an Activity in the CityWorks Server. If the BMP is in compliance, a Corrective Action Compliance Notice will be sent to the BMP owner with a copy to the appropriate Town.