Landscape Operations

Landscape Management’s landscape operations group maintains more than 1,500 acres of landscaping across more than 200 city properties, including seven cemeteries, nearly 1,000 medians and six public spaces (Arequipa Park, Crescent Park, Five Points Public Plaza, The Green at Prosperity Village, The Ritz at Washington Heights and Tuckaseegee Arboretum and Gardens). All other parks are owned and managed by Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation.

The group also installs new landscaping and controls excessive vegetation growth. 

Commonly Asked Questions

Are all streets and medians in Charlotte maintained by the city?

No. Some streets are privately maintained and some are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)


How often are the medians in the city limits mowed?

City-maintained medians outside the I-277 loop are mowed at a minimum of every 14 days. Medians inside Center City are maintained every seven days.


What is a right-of-way?

According to City Ordinance No. 9151, "Public rights of way shall mean land that is dedicated or otherwise legally established for public use." Refer to the diagram below for areas of owner vs. city responsibility.

A diagram of cross-section of a neighborhood street illustrating which area is considered right-of-way


How is vegetation maintained in city-maintained rights-of-way?

By City Code, property owners are responsible to maintain grass, shrubs and other vegetation to the edge of any street adjacent to their property. Landscape Management provides vegetation control around fixed City assets like guardrails where appropriate.


How can I report vegetation obstructing a street, sidewalk, pedestrian path or bicycle lane?

Call 311 to report sight obstructions or submit a request online

By City Code, property owners are responsible for maintaining vegetation so that it does not obstruct the safe passage of pedestrians or motor vehicles.


How do I report a street sign or intersection that is blocked by overhanging foliage?

Call 311 or submit a request online.